This post was sent to the Great Primate Handshake by Samantha Newport, Communications Manager at Gorilla.cd
The Africa Conservation Fund (UK), a UK-registered charity, is looking for a Communications & Digital Media Officer (CDMO) to work in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. ACF, founded in 2005, is a dynamic and fast growing environmental conservation organization. The organization’s main program focuses on the protection of Mountain Gorillas and other critically endangered species in Virunga National Park, Africa’s oldest national park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. ACF receives most of its funds through the European Union and from innovative fundraising from the public via the Internet at www.gorilla.cd.
The CDMO will be a well organized and hard-working team player, able to work flexibly in a multicultural environment within tight deadlines, under extremely demanding field conditions. The CDMO must have native French or English, with proficiency in the other language.
- Writing and editing the daily blog entries on www.gorilla.cd to boost readership, generate backlinks, improve blog ranking and increase online donations.
- Creating and managing innovative web-based campaigns to generate publicity and funds for Virunga’s Wildlife Rangers.
- Production of digital media content in Virunga National Park for Gorilla.cd and other sources (eg donors); digital media is a key component of Gorilla.cd.
- Managing digital media relationship with partners to boost visibility of Virunga; this includes managing a large digital media database.
- Training Wildlife Rangers of Virunga to provide quality media (photographic and video) from the field.
- Overall management of blog to boost profile of Virunga Rangers online, including involvement in website development and functionalities.
- Spokesperson for Gorilla.cd on a national and international level, as directed by Communications Director or Director of Virunga National Park.
- Production of additional promotional/information materials for Gorilla.cd and Virunga National Park.
- Native French or English, with proficiency in the other language;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Experience in blogging and social networking;
- Proven experience at working in a team;
- Able to work in demanding field conditions;
- An interest in wildlife.
- Line Management
The CDMO will respond to the Communications Director of ACF.
Terms of contract
- Competitive international salary
- 1 year initial contract with a three-month trial period.
- 25 days per annum of paid holiday
- Medical cover in DR Congo
- Basic accommodation
- 1 return flight to Europe per year
- Based in North Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo
How to apply
Please send a CV with a covering letter to email@example.com.
Please state your availability in the covering letter.