This dinner was prepared in the morning then reheated when we got back from a long day at the Lima Self Help Group and the Kaya Kinondo Sacred Forest. This has been my favourite dinner so far, the flatbread is a great companion to this soup as you can mop up the sauce with it. I would definitely recommend spending a little extra time to make the flat bread, it doesn’t take much time at all!
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 2 large onions
- 3 vegetable stock cubes in 2 litres water
- 350g red lentils
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can butter beans
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- Fry the onions with the spices and herbs until the onions are soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and leave to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for 25 minutes or until the sauce has thickened
- Mix the ingredients to form a dough.
- Need the dough into balls and roll each ball into circles.
- Fry until golden brown and crispy around the edges.