Primate Handshake: Communities for Apes
Date: 27th October – 8th November 2013
Price: £950 (Inc deposit)Apply
This project will take you to the forests of Cameroon where you will work with Ape Action Africa, who are committed to protecting the great apes by rescuing and rehabilitating orphaned or injured gorillas and chimpanzees.
Volunteers will be creating a film covering the recently formed women’s community group showcasing how Ape Action Africa involves the wider community within its conservation efforts. Your film will capture footage of the orphaned apes housed within the sanctuary, as well as the opportunity to interview people from the surrounding villages to discuss their changing attitudes towards the primates.
You will get to experience the rewards of seeing apes being rehabilitated and also learn from world experts on the troubling issues facing the conservation of gorillas and chimpanzees.
This trip also includes a visit to the coast of Cameroon allowing you to see the diverse landscapes of the country and take a dip in the Atlantic.
For the duration of this project you will be living on location at Cameroon’s Mefou National Park, offering you the chance to film the action as it happens and edit the footage in a unique environment.
This trip is perfect for someone who wants the opportunity to film iconic great apes and explore the links between communities and conservation.
Notice: Although you will be in close proximity to the apes, only Ape Action Africa staff will be allowed to handle them.
- Digital media training, support and guidance
- Access to production equipment (HD video cameras, laptops, etc)
- Access to 3G internet
- Meet and learn from local conservation experts
- Experience diverse culture and innovation
- Generator for charging electrical equipment
- Accommodation fees (approx. 90% camping & 10% simple Hotels/hostels)
- Camping and cooking gear
- Min. of 2 vegetarian meals per day (on average)
- 11 nights’ accommodation
What’s Not Included
- Visas approx. $50 (depending on nationality)
- Meals taken while in hotels/hostels
- Airport taxes & transfers
- Travel insurance