Reforestation Handshake: Kenya 2013
Date: 2nd September – 13th September 2013
Price: £850 (Inc deposit)
Local Payment: £100
This project provides the participant with the unique opportunity of working with a remote community situated in Bore, a vast open landscape nestled between the beautiful beaches of Malindi and the magnificence of Tsavo national park in Kenya.
Working as part of a team you will be creating a short film covering the newly created Women’s Forestry Project. This unique community-linking project, co-coordinated by Community Carbon Link, will supply over 100 women with seedlings, solar panels and solar lanterns that enable them to start a carbon retentive small
business, which protects the tropical forest resources that we all ultimately depend on.
The film you create will be used to raise awareness of community engagement and will be screened online and at several fundraising functions by Community Carbon Link, Size of Wales and One Tree, One Child, One Planet. The trip begins on the stunning beaches of Mombasa where you can orientate yourself, learn more about the Great Primate Handshake and take a dip in the Indian Ocean. Moving onto Bore will provide a great road trip where you can soak up the sights that coastal Kenya has to offer.
In Bore you will be bush camping in true African style underneath an amazing blanket of stars. You will get to spend time with the local Kundeni Primary School children and witness the refurbishment of the school classrooms funded by our campaign. As part of the community’s tree planting efforts, reinforcing information about local wildlife is key and you may get to see the wild baboon and vervet monkey troops as they pass through the areas of forest they share with the community.
Before returning to Mombasa, we will take a safari through the world famous Tsavo national park where you will be on the lookout for truly wild lions, elephants, rhinos and much more. The final days of the trip will see the group return to the shores of Mombasa where the footage and other material will be edited together and completed for publication. This trip is great for volunteers that want to experience the ‘real’ Kenya, interact with its people and environment whilst making a significant contribution to conservation efforts.
- An early morning and evening game drive – an opportunity to spot the Big Five (elephant, lion, buffalo, rhino and leopard).
- Digital media training, support and guidance
- Access to production equipment (HD video cameras, laptops, etc)
- Access to 3G internet
- Meet and learn from local conservation experts
- Experience diverse culture and innovation
- Generator for charging electrical equipment
- All transport on Oasis Expedition Truck Accommodation fees (approx. 90% camping & 10% simple hotels/hostels).
- Camping and cooking gear
- Min of 2 vegetarian meals per day (on average)
- 11 nights’ accommodation
- Services of Oasis Crew
What’s not Included
- Visas approx. $50 (depending on nationality)
- Meals taken while in hotels/hostels
- Airport taxes & transfers
- Travel insurance
- Day 1 & 2: Hands on training in Mombasa, Kenya
- Day 3: Travel to Bore, meet the residents and tour the surrounding area.
- Day 4-5: Collect content
- Day 6-7 24 hours in Tsavo National Park
- Day 8-11: Compile content together
- Day 12: Complete content, debrief and showcase